[c-nsp] route maps and bgp

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Oct 5 05:42:18 EDT 2005

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 11:51:54PM -0400, Jon Lewis wrote:
> First, both your providers are being stupid, as they should have
> prefix-lists or other methods setup for ignoring routes you send them
> other than the few legitimate routes you're supposed to be sending (your
> /24 and /20, and perhaps subnets of the /20).

Well said.

Customers do make mistakes, all the time - it's the upstream's job to make
sure that customer mistakes have no global impact.

But the art of "filter what customers may inject" seems to be a forgotten
lore these days...  ("oh, yes, we are announcing lots of more specifics,
we need to talk to our customer to make them stop originating them")

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de