[c-nsp] Load balancing across 2 ADSL lines

Kristofer Sigurdsson kristo at ipf.is
Thu Oct 13 06:53:22 EDT 2005

Hi,

See comments inline...

On Thu, 2005-10-13 at 11:53 +0100, James O'Farrell wrote:
> Hi All,
>

> I am looking to load balanced across 2 ADSL lines either both coming
> into the same router or using 2 separate routers, any thoughts would be
> much appreciated.
>

> So far I have looked at;
>

> HSPR;
>
> If I understand HSRP correctly I will have to give out 2 default
> gateways which I would not like to do.

Not entirely true.  One default gateway, but two routers, using seperate
IP addresses, will negiote between themselves who has the (third) IP
address designated as the default gateway.  This, however, is not a load
balancing method, is is primarily useful for redundancy (if a router
goes down, the other takes over).

> NAT;
>
> I could have 2 WIC cards and NAT across both the ADSL links, but from
> what I have seen the 2nd line would only be used when there are no
> available translation paths on the 1st.

True...

> OER;
>
> >From what I can see this appears to achieve the best load balancing. Has
> anyone ever used OER, and if so is there anything I should be looking
> out for?

I have no experience with OER.

How is the ADSL terminated?  If you are terminating it yourself, you
could use routing protocols such as OSPF to load balance the traffic.
If the ADSL is terminated on another provider's system, you could use
tunnels to the endpoint and load balance over the two tunnels, using
routing protocols.

--
Kristófer Sigurðsson           Tel: +354 414 1600
Netrekstur/Network Operations  IP Fjarskipti ehf.