[c-nsp] allowas-in : Number of occurances of AS number

Bruce Pinsky bep at whack.org
Fri Oct 14 14:47:05 EDT 2005

Mark Tohill wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I am hoping to implement BGP's 'allowas-in' command to get around a
> problem with isolated PoP's.

If you have isolated POPs, you don't have a contiguous AS and shouldn't be
trying to treat it as such.  The "allowas-in" command was really designed
for use in MPLS/VPN environment to allow readvertising routes learned from
other PE routers with the same AS (allowing duplicate AS numbers at
multiple CE locations).

See
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1830/products_feature_guide09186a0080087b1f.html#wp1045854

> I have tested this in a lab and prefix's from other PoP's are passed
> over eBGP. :-)

Yep, but you can now create routing loops since you've broken BGP's loop
detection method.

> What I don't understand is this argument on CLI:
>

> '<1-10>  Number of occurances of AS number'
>

> What is the purpose of this?

Allows the same AS to appear in the AS Path multiple times.

> Are there any security considerations with using allowas-in i.e losing
> inter-PoP communication in case of 'bad' routes?

Without knowing your topology and connectivity, it's hard to figure out
exactly what you are trying to achieve here.  At a minimum, I would think
that you should be looking at some kind of tunneling (GRE for example) to
provide continuity between the disconnnected sights.

- --
=========
bep