[c-nsp] Memory - C7301 vs. NPE-G1

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Mon Oct 17 14:57:37 EDT 2005

> No big surprise, though, as the 7301 is mostly "a NPE-G1 in a 1RU
> chassis".
>
> (The labeling is just weird, should be a 7201-G1, or such, not a 73xx, and
> the fact that it's needlessly numbering its GigE interfaces differently
> from a NPE-G1 and uses different software is so... "needless"...)

Cisco's product naming is massively f*cked up - but this is hardly
anything new! There are many examples, e.g.

- The 2948G-L3 which has nothing whatsoever to do with the 2948 (but a
lot to do with the 8500).
- The 3560 which is hardware wise more similar to the 3750 than to the
3550.
- The 6500 and the 7600 which is the same box (and the 7600 of course
has nothing whatsoever to do with the 7500).

I've told my Cisco reps lots of times what I think of the product names,
and that the customers *do* see through the marketing. Unfortunately, it
doesn't seem like Cisco wants to learn.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no