[c-nsp] BGP routes co-existing with different local-preference

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Fri Oct 28 18:28:23 EDT 2005

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 28, 2005 at 04:23:34AM -0700, David Barak wrote:
> So what exactly is the case where having multiple
> sessions between the same two routers is an advantage?

Alex Rubenstein seems to have situations in mind where a /31 BGP
session per link would detect a dead link, while the line protocol
keepalives don't.

I can't really see why this might happen, unless you run the link with
"no keepalive".

OTOH, we have seen links that passed data only one-way, and with Cisco
HDLC encapsulation, one end kept going line protocol up/down/up/down/... -
which *is* a problem.  Using PPP (with proper "start of IP" two-way
handshake) fixed that.

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de