[c-nsp] Re: [ URGENT: help on WCCP v2 , router 2811/3640 IOS 12.2(2)T/12.3(7)T]

Lincoln Dale ltd at cisco.com
Mon Sep 5 20:25:15 EDT 2005

[i haven't been involved with anything WCCP-related for at least 5
years, so this may be out of date..]

L2-based forwarding for WCCPv2 was developed in order to allow
hardware-accelerated WCCP on those router/switch platforms that support
forwarding in hardware (& hence didn't have to drop down to a 'slower'
software-based forwarding path).

as such, L2-forwarding was developed for Catalyst 6500 IOS images (12.1E
if my memory serves correctly) and i believe Cisco 7200 images (12.0S /
12.2S) also had it.  there was also some limited support for the
Catalyst 3550 as well if i remember correctly.

on software-forwarding platforms (e.g. 36xx, 26xx), there is no
"performance hit" for traffic being encapsulated in GRE, so it may well
be that those platforms / IOS-software-release-trains haven't got the
L2-forwarding nor hash-mask support as there wasn't significant need or
demand for them to have it.

as such, it is mandatory for a WCCP client-side implementation to be
able to support GRE.

cheers,

lincoln.