[c-nsp] T1 crossconnect best practice?

Matthew Crocker matthew at crocker.com
Wed Sep 14 21:03:02 EDT 2005

Cisco ONS 15454 with XT-VT or XT10G cards can handle VT1.5 cross
connects which will give you 672 DS1 cross connects in each SONET node.

Here is what we do

  Verizon delivers 28 DS1s to our CFA via wire wrap pins.  We cross
connect them to our SCOPE bay and wire wrap them to a Telect 84 port
DSX panel.   The DS1 is then wired into a Carrier Access Corp
WideBank 28 M13 Mux.  The resulting DS-3 is connected to a DS3-6XM
port on our Cisco ONS 15454.  I can see each DS1 in the SONET ring
and map them anywhere I want to go.  I can hairpin it back out a
different DS1 on the same DS-3 (PtP in same CO)  or map them to
another DS-1 in another DS-3 in another SONET node.    We have an
OC-48 running around Western MA which is our ONS ring.

-Matt