[c-nsp] Re: [j-nsp] load balancing between multiple BGP links

Phillip Vandry vandry at TZoNE.ORG
Thu Sep 15 13:45:30 EDT 2005

On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 06:38:09PM +0530, Alok wrote:
> R1===========R2
>
> EBGP multihop between them over 2 links
> link 1 =10Mbps
> link 2 = 20 Mbps
>
> total traffic = 25Mbps
>
> Is there a way to ensure that link 1 doesnt get choked?

I have not tried this, but if you can somehow treat link 2 as two links
and install two routes, then you can do equal cost load balancing
over link 1, link 2, and link 2 again. Options for doing that are
secondary IP addresses on each side of link 2 and a second static
route pointing to the secondary address on the other side (if using
static routes) or run link 2 as a trunk and put 2 vlans on it
(if using OSPF instead of static routes).

This solution is only practical when the greatest common divisor of
the link sizes is large.

-Phil