[c-nsp] eBGP multi-hop problem.

Rick Ernst ernst at easystreet.com
Fri Sep 16 13:20:21 EDT 2005

I have an eBGP multi-hop customer connected behind a Cat5500/RSM.  I'm
using multi-hop to a 7513 since the RSM can't handle full tables (128MB).

The problem is the RSM doesn't have the route information for the network,
so a routing loop is created between the core network and the RSM (the RSM
defaults to loopback interfaces on the core routers via OSPF).

My "get it working" fix was to static-route at a high pref to the RSM
VLAN/interface, but that obviously breaks if the route is withdrawn.  I'm
thinking about adding the RSM as a local-only BGP peer, and default
everything else.  Is this the best way, or am I missing something more
funamental?  How could this be configured if the RSM was some other device
that couldn't handle BGP at all?

Thanks,

Rick