[c-nsp] 6500 service-policy

Mark Boolootian booloo at ucsc.edu
Fri Sep 23 12:45:41 EDT 2005

> I have seen tech notes by Cisco that if you want the policer to be
> friendly  to TCP traffic you should allow up to 1 second of burst at
> the committed rate.

Cathy Wittbrodt gave a talk at NANOG back in 1998 on CAR and
how it interacted with TCP.  The abstract for the talk read:

    CAR Talk: Configuration Considerations for Cisco's Committed
    Access Rate (Cathy Wittbrodt, @Home)

    Some months ago @Home began evaluating CAR for some of the
    functionality that we required. We evaluated solely CAR's rate
    limiting capabilities, and the extent to which rate limiting
    impacts the network. In the process we discovered how CAR
    interacts with TCP, as well as the optimum configuration of
    burst parameters.

I believe Cisco may have used her results in making their recommendations.
The talk is worth watching.  You can find in the Tuesday 1:30pm slot
here:

  http://www.nanog.org/mtg-9811/agen1198.html