[c-nsp] Weird problem on Cat6509 + WS-X6348-RJ-45

Brad Swanson lakepepin at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 26 08:59:55 EDT 2005

Jeff,
6348 = trouble for us.  I just spent Friday morning (4 hours) and Saturday
morning (4 hours) figuring out that the line card, a 6348, was tieing up the
backplane on a 6509 and that the code we are running (6.4(4a)) does not
detect this scenario and so the switch ends up resetting itself.  Various
hidden cmds do show if the backplane is being tied up, TAC of course has the
cmds...to be used wisely.  Newer code auto-detects this issue and shuts down
the card via power drop.

Also this past week our server group complained of throughput on a 6348, yet
a sho test 5 and sho port stat showed the card clean.  I did a soft reset
since the servers were set up redundantly, and of course the card came back
faulty...pinnacle error.  I have seen this type of failure in what you
describe also, the card just stops working without any syslog messages or
other info being relayed.

These are just two examples of what seems to be a 6348-whoops in design, at
least to me it is.

My advice, replace the card...

Thanks,
Brad