[c-nsp] Smallest router that supports GigE over MM fibre

Kristofer Sigurdsson kristo at ipf.is
Fri Sep 30 06:26:02 EDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-30 at 12:30 +0200, Gert Doering wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 09:46:38AM +0000, Kristofer Sigurdsson wrote:
> > A 2821 *will not* route 200 Mbit/s.  You might be able to squeeze that
> > out of a 2851, but it would be at 100% CPU load.
>
> The router performance PDF claims 87 Mbit/s. for the 2821 and 112 Mbit/s.
> for the 2851 - but that's for 64 byte packets.  So if your packets are
> larger ("internet standard mix") both routers will do 200 Mbit/s.

Those numbers assume 100% CPU load, no access lists, no routing
protocols, no nothing.  I'm assuming if the switch does not satisfy his
needs, he will be using some of the extra knobs in "real" routers, and
that he wants to be able to monitor/administer the box...

Also, IMHO, it is generally bad practise to run routers at 90%+
constant load...

> OTOH if you have to calculate DoS attacks, virus outbreaks, etc. into
> the mix, and want a router that can do 200 Mbit/s. under worst-case
> conditions, you'll need at least a 3845 (which the performance PDF claims
> to be faster than a NPE-400).

I agree.  The 3845 or the NPE-400 should do nicely, IMHO, assuming a
"standard" environment and not overly excessive virus outbreaks and/or
DDoS attacks (if you happen to get a lot of those, you will have to
choose equipment in accordance with that).

--
Kristófer Sigurðsson           Tel: +354 414 1600
Netrekstur/Network Operations  IP Fjarskipti ehf.