[c-nsp] SmartNet on Ebay gear

Hyunseog Ryu r.hyunseog at ieee.org
Thu Apr 6 19:32:01 EDT 2006

It depends on what you buy from eBay.
If it is line card, and SMARTNET is based on chassis, usually it won't
be a problem.
But you may have a problem when you buy chassis or equipment with
different licensing.
Normally Cisco doesn't honor the software license right when it is sold
from customer to customer.
So you may have to buy software license.
And if you buy chassis or line card requires license for SMARTNET,
you have to go through recertification process.
If you are lucky enough to buy the equipment from eBay buyer, who
happens to be Cisco Distributor, who can recertify the equipment by
himself, they can waive the recerfication fee,
and you can buy SMARTNET from them.
But otherwise, you have to go through recerfication process with
whatever they charge for it.

So I don't think it's worth to buy it from Cisco equipment from eBay
when you need to cover it with SMARTNET.
It's too much for hassle for me.

Hyun

Chris Moore 쓴 글: