[c-nsp] Cisco 7500 High Availability

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Mon Apr 10 17:13:01 EDT 2006

neal rauhauser wrote:

>    I've got a customer with some 75xx that have dual RSP4s in them.
> We've got identical dram/flash/12.0.32S code on them and I've started
> fooling with the high availability stuff. I've received feedback from a
> couple people on NANOG that this doesn't work very well - the four to
> eight minute recovery RPR works, but the faster modes do not behave.
>
>   Can anyone comment on this? I'd like to make it go for this guy, but I
> don't want to spend forty hours learning all of the failure modes for a
> software product that works better on other hardware platforms ...

SSO has worked fairly well for me.  Depending on the failure mode, it's
anywhere from seamless to ~90 seconds of recovery (and a bit longer for
multilink interfaces).

However, 12.0.31S and 12.0.32S haven't worked well for me on 75xx.  Are
you seeing high "ignored" counters on your interfaces, perhaps 4-10x
what you had with perhaps 12.0.27Sx?

pt