[c-nsp] Cluster 2 stacks?

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Mon Apr 17 18:30:25 EDT 2006

--On April 11, 2006 1:24:05 PM -0400 andrew2 at one.net wrote:

<...>
> It seems to me that I could accomplish all this by clustering the two
> stacks of 3750's, but I'm not sure if that's possible.  I can find
> documentation on stacking and on clustering, but nothing about
> clustering multiple stacks.  It seems feasible, but...  And, assuming
> it's possible, will it accomplish what I'm looking to do?  Basically one
> big logical switch that happens to have half it's ports on either end of
> some GBICs?

Clustering doesn't do anything remotely of the sort.  It's purely
management, and seems to be going away.

You'll want to setup a VLAN Trunk between the two stacks, however, I'm not
sure how the L3 portion interacts there, but I *THINK* you could use HSRP
or just intentionally assign the same IPs to routed interfaces on both
sides, then let the L3 trunk carry the cross switch traffic.  I think.  Not
really sure.

Whenever encountering something like this I've engineered around it by
routing between the stacks rather than maintaining a single larger L2
domain.