[c-nsp] Cat 6000

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Tue Apr 25 09:37:29 EDT 2006

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006, W. Kevin Hunt wrote:

> I have a 12k and an M40 at our border taking 5 full BGP feeds.  We want
> to add another border router capable of an OC3 or DS3 feed in another
> city for disaster prepardness purposes (We are in New Orleans and are
> getting ready for the next hurricane season).
> I have a Cat 6k, can I just add a MSFC2 w/ 512megs of RAM/PFC to my
> Sup1A and a flexwan module to pick up the ds3 or oc3?
> I have no experience w/ the MSFC2 or flexwan module so if there are any
> gotcha's I'd like to know, but it'd sure be nice to use something in my
> closet as opposed to buying another 12k or M5.

1. I'm not sure, but the TCAM table on the MSFC2/PFC2 may not be large
enough to provide you with enough headroom to take multiple full BGP
feeds and allow for prefix count growth over time.
2. The Cat6000 chassis is an EOS platform and has been for four years.  It
will go end of life/end of support in May 2007.

jms