[c-nsp] Multicast Issue

Antonio Querubin tony at lava.net
Thu Apr 27 17:30:16 EDT 2006

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006, John Neiberger wrote:

>> Seems that the root of the problem is that the server isn't joining
> the
>> group so the fix should be applied there.  Couldn't you just write a
> small
>> routine that runs concurrently on the server and joins the group?  And
>
>> then let the router handle multicast normally.
>
> That would be the best way to handle this but I'm not a programmer. I
> have no idea how to write a Windows 2003 application that does this.
> Perhaps there is an open source IGMP "client" out there somewhere. All
> we really need it to do is join the group and make sure it stays
> joined.

You don't need to be a programmer.  Just use one of the many multicast
capable networking tools available to listen for the group.  Off the top
of my head one specific example is the windows version of iperf:

http://dast.nlanr.net/Projects/Iperf/#download

iperf -s --bind 224.0.1.55

and just leave it running.  Set it to start up automatically in a BAT or
CMD file along with your other service.