[c-nsp] Burst bytes in Policing

Kanagaraj Krishna kanagaraj at aims.com.my
Mon Aug 7 22:19:19 EDT 2006

Hi,
    I've been using police (cat 3550) and rate-limit (subinterface Cisco7200) to manage our customers bandwidth. As i know, the rule of thumb for the rate-limit settings are:

 rate-limit [input | output] rate  normal_burst  maximum_burst conform-action transmit exceed-action drop

normar burst = (rate/8) * 1.5
max burst = normal_burst * 2

Do we use the same rule for "police rate  normal_burst exceed-action drop" command as well? This is because the max value for normal_burst in policing is only 2000000bytes which would not cater to higher rate like 20Mb (burst rate = (20480000/8) * 1.5 = 3840000bytes). Please share your thoughts. Thanks

Regards,
Kana