[c-nsp] 6500 sup32 v sup720]

Euan Galloway euang+cisco-nsp at lists.eusahues.co.uk
Tue Aug 8 05:28:32 EDT 2006

Asbjorn Hojmark - Lists writes:

>The PFC3B, which both use, support 192k prefixes out of the box,
>which runs out just about now. However, that is tunable to 239k,
>if you can live without stuff like multicast, IPv6 and MPLS.

Just since 239k has now been said so many times, and so I understand
if I am mistaken... isn't it 240k ?

Using the docs that described how the "multicast + IPv6" was allocated
in 8k blocks ( 16k tcam entries ) and the "IPv4 + MPLS" was allocated
in 16k blocks (16k tcam entries ) I did this...

mls cef maximum-routes ipv6 4
mls cef maximum-routes ip-multicast 4

to get this split...

#show mls cef max
FIB TCAM maximum routes :
=======================
Current :-
-------
IPv4 + MPLS         - 240k (default)
IPV6                - 4k
IP multicast        - 4k

Pass it 246272 prefixes with bgp ( + it has a few other routes )

Aug  8 09:24:12.468 BST: %MLSCEF-SP-7-FIB_EXCEPTION: FIB TCAM exception,
Some entries will be software switched

#show mls cef summ

Total routes:                     245553
   IPv4 unicast routes:          245546
   IPv4 Multicast routes:        3
   MPLS routes:                  0
   IPv6 unicast routes:          4
   IPv6 multicast routes:        0
   EoM routes:                   0

239k ( 239 * 1024 ) = 244736
240k ( 240 * 1024 ) = 245760
Actual limit        ~ 245546 ?
(or possibly variable by something else eating tcam entries and not
displaying in "show mls cef summ")

Not trying to be petty ( and more than happy to be corrected ).

--
Euan Galloway