[c-nsp] graphing utility

Ed Ravin eravin at panix.com
Tue Aug 8 09:00:51 EDT 2006

On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 08:29:53AM +0200, jan gregor wrote:
> i'm trying to setup graphing of interfaces traffic in our network. For
> identifying interfaces i would like to use ifDescr rather than ifIndex.
> Can anyone please point me to software capable of doing this? I'm trying
> to avoid mrtg here.

Cricket (see sf.cricket.net) will do this.  You'll want to separately
download genDevConfig / genRtrConfig , which automatically creates a
Cricket config for your Cisco equipment that has extremely detailed
graphs.  For example, with a bit of tweaking it will show you per-VLAN
graphs, or graphs for your rate-limit filters.  The graphs are selected
by interface name with the ifDescr comment alongside.

Cricket is older than Cacti (the package recommended by the other poster)
but newer and far more flexible than MRTG, and you can plug in non-SNMP
information fairly easily (I'm not sure if Cacti lets you do that).