[c-nsp] ebgp vs ibgp admin distance

Shakeel Ahmad shakeelahmad at gmail.com
Sat Aug 12 14:44:09 EDT 2006

in Philip words:

"

The default distance for eBGP is 20, the default distance for iBGP is 200,
and the default distance for OSPF is 110. This means that there is a
potential for a prefix learned by eBGP to override the identical prefix
carried by OSPF. Recall from the Routing presentation that there is a
distinct separation between BGP and OSPF processes – prefixes present in
OSPF will never be found in BGP, and vice-versa. To protect against
accidents**, the eBGP distance is set to 200 also.

** There have been several incidents in the past where denial of service
attacks on ISP networks have been successful because ISPs have omitted basic
routing protocol security. Setting the BGP distances to be greater than any
IGP is one of the mitigation methods available."

regards,

Shakeel