[c-nsp] Retrieving running config via SNMP

billn at billn.net billn at billn.net
Fri Aug 18 11:28:06 EDT 2006

Rancid is indeed a superior tool.

Automated config archiving/backup via cron.
Integrates with CVS to provide version control on configurations.
Emails diffed config output when changes are discovered
Emails when it can't reach a device that may be down, blocked by a newly
placed ACL, or isolated by idiocy.

With some work, it can be modded to work with anything that speaks ssh or
telnet. (We use it with Dell Poweredges, Alteons, Ciscos of varying age,
we even put together a process for inventory core Linux configuration
files.)

SNMP is nice, but Rancid is a pretty complete tool.

- billn