[c-nsp] Sup720 image

Josh usenetspamtrap at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 20 10:28:52 EDT 2006

> > If you have a unix box (there may be a windows app
> to do it I suppose)
> > and a CF card you can just get a disk image from
> someone and dd it onto
> > the CF. No physical media transfer required.
>
> I really doubt this works, even if you format lets
> say cflash in VXR or
> GSR (or possibly 7600 with 'wrong' IOS), copy 7600
> IOS there and insert
> the cflash on running 7600, you will happily see IOS
> there and you can
> verify md5sum to be correct, however you can not
> boot from there, as rommon
> does not see anything there, unless it's formatted
> in 7600 with correct
> IOS.

dd uses a disk image, so that should work fine.
Formating the card in a different device (as suggested
elsewhere) doesn't work because of monlib.

> My recommendation for people who have the original
> 64MB bootflash is to copy
> latest SXD image there, just to have something in
> the system to bring it up
> in case of cflash related issues. I learned this the
> hard way, as it seems
> lot of other people have.

It was there.  I bowed to the 'wisdom' of a peer who
said that there should only be a single file which is
what you are actually booting from.

Anyway, I have a card reader, and am now trying to
find any image of a valid formatted 64,128, or 256M
CompactFlash (from a 6500).  I don't think it needs to
include the image, but any help from someone that has
access would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Josh