[c-nsp] 1841 suitable for BGP?

Joe Maimon jmaimon at ttec.com
Mon Aug 28 23:59:28 EDT 2006

Pete Barnwell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking at a router to handle 2 x 10Mb/s (ethernet) feeds and take a
> full BGP routing table from both ISPs. Will an 1841 with 384Mb suffice
> for this, or do I need to look at higher spec models?
>
> Pete

The 1841 is documented to do 75k pps at 64bytes for 38.4 mbps

This should cover 2 10mbps full duplex.

If you expect to push larger packets you might feel free to rerun the
calculation, but if reality proves you wrong, you have no one to blame
but yourself.

On the other hand, if you follow the algorithm offered here previously
in a post from <i cant find it> and divide by half the documented number
for every feature used, including the act of booting IOS, you might want
something with more headroom.

To completely bypass port density issues, I would recommend you pair the
1841 with a 2950 switch and do dot1q. No need to worry about ethernet
ports now.

384 should be more than sufficient for two feeds for the forseeable
future, seeing as how people are still squeezing 2 feeds into 256
(granted, thats probably with different IOS trains).

CPU usage by the BGP process is not supposed to affect packet forwarding
in interupt context. Slow reconvergence by CPU could affect routing
recovery after outages, but odds that this would affect you and to what
extent is probably not very high.

So yes, it is likely as not to "suffice", at least for the near
forseeable future.

The better question is how much of a guarantee that it will suffice are
you looking for?