[c-nsp] NSSA default route forwarding address and default route selection

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Tue Dec 5 14:10:06 EST 2006

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006, Dimitrios Kalogeras wrote:

> Hi to all of you,
>
> I have the following scenario:
>
> A router which is a member of the area 0 and member of NSSA  generates
> default route inside the NSSA. The  router has two links  and no
> loopback in  which belong in this NSSA area. The router selects as
> forwarding address the biggest IP address and not the one with the
> smallest ospf cost nor does he selects 0.0.0.0 as a forwarding address.

This is correct.  If an OSPF speaking router does not have a loopback
address, it will use the highest-numbered IP address that it has on one of
its interfaces as its router ID.  If the router in question has many
interfaces or its overall topology changes often, you could introduce some
IGP instability if a new interface is added with a higher IP address than
the existing router ID.  This would cause your OSPF adjacencies to drop
since hello packets would be sent out with a router ID different than the
ones that originally established the adjacency.  It would also likely
cause your OSPF process to reset.

Having a loopback address on your routers is a good idea for many reasons,
but if for some reason this is impossible, your options are 1) live with
the limitations described above, or 2) use the "router-id" command under
"router ospf XXX" to tie the router ID to a specific interface.

> Can you explain this behavior ? Is this rfc specific or implementation
> specific ?

I believe this is part of the OSPF protocol.  It's been awhile since I
read the spec, so things might have changed in the past few years :)

jms