[c-nsp] Cisco 5500 sup iii w/ RSM performance

David Coulson david at davidcoulson.net
Tue Dec 5 23:11:30 EST 2006

Kris Amy wrote:
> Just wondering how much memory/routes these RSM can have and also it's
> throughput capabilities.

I believe the RSM is RSP2 based, so you can get up to 128Mb of DRAM in
it. That can probably handle a single full table via BGP, but don't
expect to do much else with it.

> To my understanding traffic that stays on the same vlan (ie just switched)
> doesn't hit the RSM, it's only when you have to literally route it.

Yup. If you've got a real router available and want decent L3
performance, it might be worth hauling VLANs out of the switch on a ISL
trunk and routing on separate hardware. An RSP2 is pretty anemic by most
standards.

David