[c-nsp] Small customer premise switch?

Laurent Geyer lgeyer at 085zehn.com
Fri Dec 8 11:29:57 EST 2006

On 12/8/06, Charles J. Boening <charlieb at cot.net> wrote:

> Not sure if it's even worth looking at, but how about something in the
> CE500 line?
>
> Cisco Catalyst Express 500-24TT 24 port 10/100 Switch.  They're pretty
> dumbed down compared to the "bigger" stuff but may work.
>
> The 500-24TT is about $500 from CDW and $450 from Provantage.

One of my co-workers ordered a couple because pricing was pretty attractive.
After playing around with them though I promptly returned them after
realizing following:

- 802.1Q trunking required a firmware upgrade
- No CLI configuration, GUI only
- VTP only in transparent mode

If neither of those three items mentioned are show stoppers then the Cisco
Express line switches are a pretty good deal.

- Laurent