[c-nsp] RSP720/PFC3C/20G-CE

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Dec 11 06:41:39 EST 2006

Saku Ytti wrote:
> ES20's. I really hope that market doesn't accepts ciscos intention to
> separate 7600 and 6500, from my point of view, risk seems to be
> that 7600 gets no cheap and dense interfaces and 6500 doesn't edge
> intelligent edge interfaces nor powerful CPU to do routing in it.

Agreed. The SRA split is irritating as well, given the frankly
lacklustre SXF train. I would far rather have the features in SRA on my
6500s than the (basically useless) modular software.

> Hopefully this strategy will boost MX, foundry, extreme and f10
> sales and cisco has to remove all silly locks.
> (Note I'm crying wolf here, I never heard from anyone that so
> radical differentiation is planned, just speculation)

I have heard nothing official, but every indication so far is that they
intend to do this.

I would urge all customers concerned about this to talk to their account
managers. Make your voices heard.

> I know several people who actually would want to use RSP720 with
> 10G's and few SFP's. And of course ~everyone would want to
> use cheap and dense interfaces even if they have couple intelligent
> blades.

Given their CPU load peaks at ~18% I would put an RSP720 into our 6500s
tomorrow if I thought it were going to be supported (full netflow plus
ARP/IGMP/PVST+/HSRP with aggressive timers for ~300 subnets per box,
before anyone asks).

I am frankly disappointed the RSP720 doesn't have an even faster CPU, in
the region of 2-2.5 GHz.