[c-nsp] L2TP problem with 7301

Alexandre Snarskii snar at paranoia.ru
Tue Dec 19 08:48:45 EST 2006

On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 10:56:06PM +1000, matt carter wrote:

> i have g1's acting as l2tp lac/lns that have comfortably switched 12k
> sessions @ ~80% cpu (12.3(5a)b5). i've tried a few different trains and
> personally i dont think the 16k sessions cisco claim is realistic, but thats
> just my view.
>
> has anyone had any experience with the 12.3YM MPF broadband accelerated
> features? cisco make the bold claim in their "MPF for Broadband LAC, LNS,
> and PTA" document that CPU1 "forwards traffic at approximately twice the
> forwarding performance of standard Cisco IOS software, allowing up to 1-Gbps
> line rate throughput." im curious what people are seeing in the real world..

Tried that IOS on 7301 with PPPoE/PTA scenario. Worked like a charm for about
five hours, then crashed and was "downgraded" to 12.4...

Performance boost is really impressive, 4%+18% CPU load at 300mbit
traffic (~800 users online) compared with 40-50% CPU load on 12.4 with
the same numbers for traffic/users, but stability is the something
we need more than performance..

PS: if anyone knows really stable ios with MPF - let me know, too :)