[c-nsp] NPE-400 vs. NPE-G1

Łukasz Bromirski lukasz at bromirski.net
Sat Feb 4 17:13:11 EST 2006

Hank Nussbacher wrote:

> We have a WS-X6748-GE-TX with WS-F6700-DFC3BXL (of course on a SUP720
> with WS-F6K-PFC3BXL running 12.2(18)SXE4).  We took one GE port and
> defined the following on that one GE port:
> Look at the attached graphs of test traffic and CPU of the SUP720.  So the
> word "distributed" isn't exactly accurate :-)

First of all, You may hit something that requires slow CPU path,
but I'd doubt this is the point with the configuration You attached,
however reaching 100% of CPU usage is something really suspicious.

Second thing is, if DFC-enabled card is receiving traffic and
the destination lies on the not-DFC linecard, there's always some
overhead in terms of shared bus and PFC usage. Was this the case in
the example You provided?

And last but not least, there's always CoPP ;)

--
this space was intentionally left blank    |            Łukasz Bromirski
you can insert your favourite quote here   |        lukasz:bromirski,net