[c-nsp] IOS ping response improvement

Rolf Mendelsohn rolf-web at cyberops.biz
Tue Feb 14 00:24:31 EST 2006

Hi Chuck,

Yes these CPU's are much times slower than the C2950's. After changing a
simple R-PVST based topology over from 2900XL to 2950's the CPU usage dropped
from 20% to 5% per switch.

no cdp
no service pad

spanning-tree portfast bpduguard default (C2950 - on C2900 the command differs
slightly)
spanning-tree portfast bpdufilter default
spanning-tree link-type point-to-point

aside from those minor hacks to try and make STP a bit more effiecient / less
proc. hungry

process-max-time 100 or perhaps 50

cheers
/rolf

On Tuesday 14 February 2006 06:07, Church, Chuck wrote:
> Anyone,
>
>     I'm facing an issue with missed SLAs regarding 2900XL switches and
> slow ping response to the mgmt interface at times.  I realize that ICMP
> is by design a low-priority thread.  But convincing that to our PHBs may
> be a large battle.  What I see on a locally attached switch with only 1
> port up (attached to my workstation) is about 80% of the responses are
> 1-5 ms, but about 20% are in the 30-50ms range, which doesn't meet our
> SLAs for the LAN.  I'm sure the CPU is working on STP, CDP, etc,etc
> during these times.  But is there anything I can do to improve this?
> These switches only exist at the access layer, so STP is only of
> importance on the two uplink ports.  The 'scheduler interval' command
> only accepts down to 100ms, which isn't really helping.  I know this is
> purely cosmetic and not affecting the traffic one bit, but our managers
> don't like missing SLAs, even if they're not well-planned...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chuck Church
> Lead Design Engineer
> CCIE #8776, MCNE, MCSE
> Netco Government Services - Design & Implementation Team
> 1210 N. Parker Rd.
> Greenville, SC 29609
> Home office: 864-335-9473
> Cell: 864-266-3978
> cchurch at netcogov.com
> PGP key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x4371A48D
>
> "I'm one Snickers Pie away from losing my foot to diabetes."  -  Homer

Rolf Mendelsohn
Internet Technologies Angola
Cell:  +244-92-3524981