[c-nsp] (MPLS)MTU and Cat5k RSM

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Jul 4 03:05:21 EDT 2006

Hi,

has anyone of you tried running MPLS on Cat5k RSM modules?  According to
feature navigator it's supported (in -js), but I'm wondering about frame
size and MTU issues.

What's the intrinsic MTU of the RSM<->Backplane link?  "show port cap"
claims "Jumbo frames no"...

What CatOS version is needed on the Cat5k to get jumbo frame support
anyway?  (I assume "6.x", as one of our Cat5k with 6.4 shows
"jumbo frame: yes" under "show port cap", while another one, still
on 5.5, doesn't even list this).

On a related tangent: our Catalyst 2948G claims "Jumbo frames no" on
its GigE ports.  Is this a software issue, and might go away with a
more recent CatOS (we run 7.6(7)), or is this a hardware limitation?

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de