[c-nsp] LWAPP controller via ISC DHCP

A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Wed Jul 12 14:45:24 EDT 2006

hi,

I'm in the process of installing a couple of WISM modules and the several
hundred Cisco LWAPP APs that will be controlled by them. In order to
achieve more resiliance I am looking at using DHCP options to point
to cisco-lwapp-controller rather than using DNS round robin, for the
older 1000 APs this was quite trivial:

option controller code 43 = text;
option controller "10.1.0.10,10.1.0.11,10.1.0.12";

however, the newer APs are using the newer vendor-specified options...which,
in itself has had a few churns between ISC v2 and ISC v3.

what I've currently got, in Cisco DHCP form is

option 60 ascii "Cisco AP c1130"

option 43 hex f10C0a01000a0a01000b0a01000c

where

f1 is always f1 (its the type),
0C is the number of controller management IP addresses times 4 in hex (the 'length')
f10C0a01000a0a01000b0a01000c are the 3 IP address in hex

now, I believe this is pretty much it - but I was wondering if there were any ISC DHCP
users out there that could help redux this into ISC DHCPD v3 language...

thanks

alan