[c-nsp] bgp filtering to save memory question

Niels Bakker niels=cisco-nsp at bakker.net
Tue Jul 18 06:10:35 EDT 2006

* petelists at templin.org (Pete Templin) [Mon 17 Jul 2006, 20:55 CEST]:
>Scott Granados wrote:
>>My question is this, when I do this I seem to not gain any memory
>>savings.  Also, my number of network entries stays the same, about
>>188700 or so yet my installed routes match the filters.  Do I have to
>>disable soft inbound to make this work?  What step have I forgotten?
>
>You'll need to disable soft inbound, and likely reboot, in order to
>reclaim the memory.  My 256MB RSP4s are incredibly happier without
>external /24s (at least in the POP where I had to do this).

But also sadly without connectivity to a whole bunch of networks with
legitimate /24 allocations from their respective RIRs.

I assume that those POP routers have a default route and that there is a
practical reason why you're loading a partial table on them, but for the
record I'd like to state that on the Internet today you will not get
full connectivity if you filter out /24 and longer prefixes (and 0/0).

	-- Niels.