[c-nsp] Route or Tunnel?

Vijay Ramcharan vramcharan at totality.com
Fri Jul 21 13:22:13 EDT 2006

Phil, thanks for your response.
The backup tunnel will be via the Internet. Sorry that was not in the
original ASCII diagram I sent.
So, both the ASA and the router will have a common subnet by which they
can get to the Internet.
This common subnet is the LAN interface of a DSL modem.
So if the T1 is up, use it, otherwise get to the Main office via a VPN
tunnel.

I did some other research into this and came up with the possibility of
using a GRE over IPSec tunnel on the Router at the branch office and at
the main office.

See
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk583/tk372/technologies_configuration_e
xample09186a008009438e.shtml
I think it should work as the only VPN traffic I'd match in the
crypto-map would be GRE encapsulated traffic between the branch office
router and the main office router. There shouldn't be any crypto-map
ACLs matching actual subnets that exist on each end. All that I'd need
to match would be traffic that's GRE encapsulated.
I will have to test this to be sure though.
What do you think?

The revised setup is (pardon my ASCII doodle):

				INTERNET

				[DSL Modem]

  			|		|
			|		|
[branch office] ->[ASA]		[Router]- - -T1- -> Main office

Vijay Ramcharan