[c-nsp] Cisco BFD and NSF

Saku Ytti saku+cisco-nsp at ytti.fi
Mon Jul 31 02:17:03 EDT 2006

On (2006-07-30 11:37 -0500), Charles Spurgeon wrote:

> Apparently they are having problems with BFD access to the CPU during
> various file writing events. Cisco is aware of the issue and I was
> told that there were bugfixes in the pipeline. IIRC, the fixes were
> committed to the 7600/12.2SR branch.

What bug ID's? To my case (602003831) TAC insisted (and I insisted
opposite) that this is not a bug, and I just have to configure less
aggressive timers. However this was almost a year ago in 12.2(18)SXE3
perhaps amount of complains have made them change their mind.
 My timers were 50ms by 5 packets, which hardly can be considered
aggressive in BFD world.
 Initially TAC did suggest us to tune 'process-max-time', so that
bg. BGP would be suspended early, we did this, but even after
minimum 'process-max-time' we could observe BFD flap.
 One thing I did notice from 'show process cpu' was that BFD
process isn't ran as high priority as it could be, but this probably
would be wrong place to fix the issue.

Thanks,
--
  ++ytti