[c-nsp] Layer2 Switch Recommendations

Bill Wichers billw at waveform.net
Fri Jun 2 17:45:04 EDT 2006

>> A 3750 stack w/ RPS's would match it as well and also give the
>> option of layer 3 IPv6.
>
> The RPS is a joke. It doesn't allow you to connect the stack to
> two different power sources, so you don't actually get redundant
> power (just redundant PSUs).
>
>  "Note: Do not use different power sources to power up the RPS
>  and the connected device. If you connect to separate AC power
>  sources, reset conditions might occur."

It might just not be able to handle seperate power sources that are from
different phases. If you put both supplies onto two seperate sources that
are derived from the same phase then maybe this wouldn't be a problem. No
idea if that's the case since I've never tried it, but that "might occur"
would seem to indicate the problem only occurs in certain cases.

An earlier post mentioned a 6500 series switch which would seem to be the
best answer for the original poster unless there is a concern over the
physical space the switch would occupy.

     -Bill