[c-nsp] Cisco Training question

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Tue Jun 6 14:25:04 EDT 2006

Scott Granados wrote:
> What's a good configuration for a basic lab that would work in that type
> of setting.  Our present network is very simple but it won't be that way
> for ever hopefully.  Are there any good documents that might give lab
> construction tips?

Some of the CCNP books, and a few CCIE prep books, will talk about lab
configurations.  Fundamentally, you're probably looking for 3-6 routers
with 1-2 Ethernet and 1-2 serial ports that can run reasonably
not-too-old code, one router with perhaps 4 serial ports to simulate
Frame Relay (an old crusty 4500 ROUTER often works well for this), and
particularly for CCIE studies a pair of Cat 3550 EMI switches are
excellent as both switching practice and as additional routers.
Modeling your own network can be a good start; I have a mock POP at our
office but it hasn't kept up with production network evolution.

pt