[c-nsp] Cisco IOS DHCP server && setting MTU size

Jerry Kemp cisco at oryx.cc
Tue Jun 6 17:15:20 EDT 2006

I have a new customer that I am supporting that has a small satellite office.
This satellite office consist of a handful of wintel boxes, a layer 2 switch and
(2) Cisco routers.  They have a frame-relay link back to the enterprise and a
PPPoE DSL link for Internet connectivity.

the first router provides a link between the LAN and the rest of the enterprise
over a slow frame-relay link.

The second router is a Cisco 1760 running an IP Plus 12.3.x image.  It is
configured for PAT/one-to-many NAT for Internet connectivity and is also a DHCP
server.

Some wintel boxes in this office are experiencing MTU issues due to the PPPoE
DSL link.  Changing the MTU to 1492 in the registry resolves this issue.

In RTFM'ing, I have been reading Cisco's "Configuring the Cisco IOS DHCP Server"
  pdf manual, file name hipdhcps.pdf .  It appears that in the DHCP server
configuration, you can set raw DHCP options, to include option 26, which should
set the MTU size when a system pulls a DHCP address.

Is anyone doing this currently on the list?  Does this work well?  I would think
that anything would beat going around and manually changing registry settings on
a bunch of wintel boxes.

Thanks for any feedback,

Jerry K