[c-nsp] MSTP Link Cost

Per Carlson lists at ip4all.net
Fri Jun 9 03:17:18 EDT 2006

On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 07:17:44PM +0530, Jyotirmay Samanta (Gmail) wrote:

> Can anybody suggest any good MSTP migration guide? Thanks in Advance.

No, but I have some guidelines that can be followed:

- Don't forget to set the MST priority for instance 0. Without it,
  there will be some interesting behaviour, at least if a PVST
  switch as got lower priority ;)

- Sometimes a just migrated switch will end up in it's own MST region,
  despite the MST configuration is exactly the same as a MST
  neighbour. You will see that in the 'show spanning-tree' output
  (the switch is the root for all instances, and speaks PVST with
  the MST neighbour). When that happens you have to restart the
  STP detection process with the command 'clear spanning-tree
  detected-protocols [interface ifname]'.

- Start migrating the root switch, and continue with the neigbouring swiches

When obeying those rules, we have seen no problems in our PVST to
MST migration.

--
Pelle