[c-nsp] router suggestion

Bill Wichers billw at waveform.net
Tue Jun 13 18:22:10 EDT 2006

> Presently, I've got a 75xx with 2 vip4-50's, 2 fast E's, one geip, 1
> rsp4 and 256 mb of memory.  I'm taking 2 100 meg feeds from different
> carriers, 2 full views and dropping this up on to a gig switch
> (unmanaged) which hands off to a firewall pair.
>
> I'm wanting to replace this with something similar but with more memory
> so that I don't have issues when the table goes above 192K routes or so,
> I'm already using 92% of my memory.

You may want to consider just upgrading from an RSP4 to an RSP16. The
RSP16 can handle 1GB memory and would let you keep using your existing
chassis and PAs. Might be a cheaper option than replacing the entire
router.

Sounds like a 6500 series switch with one of the higher-end supervisors
might also be a good fit for you since you're using all Ethernet links.
The switch would let you eliminate your present gigE switch too and remove
a possible point of failure.

     -Bill