[c-nsp] Problem polling VLAN infos via SNMPv3

jmnsp at loplof.de jmnsp at loplof.de
Mon Jun 19 09:47:06 EDT 2006

I'm trying to solve the following exercise in a scalable manner:

Retrieve the CAM table on a per VLAN basis from a 6500 running
s72033-jk9sv-mz.122-18.SXD4.bin via SNMPv3.

The solution so far has been to create a context for each VLAN and
allow access to this context. Allowing access requires one additional
config line per VLAN and then retrieving:
snmpwalk -v3 c6500r BRIDGE-MIB::dot1dTpFdbTable
for the default VLAN/context (which just works) and
snmpwalk -n vlan-2 -v3 c6500r BRIDGE-MIB::dot1dTpFdbTable
which requires the following config line to grant access:
snmp-server group admin v3 priv context vlan-2 access 99

This solution doesn't seem to scale too well, especially when the list
of VLANs changes dynamically due to VTP. Is there any better solution
than preconfiguring contexts for all (theoretically possible) VLANs?

Thanks
     Joerg
--
Joerg Mayer                                           <jmayer at loplof.de>