[c-nsp] High interrupt load on 7507

Joerg Goltermann jg at osn.de
Thu Jun 22 02:18:19 EDT 2006

Rodney Dunn wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 21, 2006 at 04:12:46PM -0400, David Coulson wrote:
>> Rodney Dunn wrote:
>>> Yes...faster CPU more pps. But it will be no where close to unicast
>>> switching performance.
>> What level of performance increase am I going to see by moving from RSP4
>> to 4+, 8 or RSP16?
>
> I don't have any raw data. I'd guess probably 3x or 4x. That's a guess.

Really sure?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps359/products_data_sheet09186a0080092013.html

says "The Route Switch Processor 8 (RSP8) is Cisco Systems'
new-generation, main system processor for the Cisco 7500 Series Router.
The RSP8 increases switching performance more than 40 percent compared
to the RSP4."

and

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps359/products_data_sheet09186a008009201c.html

says "The Route Switch Processor 16 (RSP16) is the newest and
highest-performance main system processor for the Cisco 7500 Series
Router. The RSP16 supports up to 1 GB of program memory, allowing
customers to significantly increase their route tables. The RSP16
provides significant performance enhancements, increasing switching
performance by 20 percent and 55 percent compared the RSP8 and RSP4+,
respectively."

I think David would stay in trouble, even with a RSP16. dCEF is the
solution for this platform.

	- Joerg