[c-nsp] Ignoring BGP routes whose origin is own AS

Rick Kunkel kunkel at w-link.net
Tue Mar 7 01:48:23 EST 2006

This may be more appropriate to the isp-bgp mailling list, but for
whatever reason, that list appears dead to me, even though I doubt it is.
I wonder if they've somehow blacklisted my addres...  In any case, please
tell me where to go, if I'm asking in the wrong place.

I need a quick reality check.  We changed backbone providers, and now
something that WAS working, no longer is.  I'll dispense with what I THINK
is useless info and just insert the obligatory ASCII network diagram here
(apologies to those with variable=width fonts).

Internet     Internet
 |            |
 |            |
NOC1---------NOC2

Two NOCS, connected to two different providers.  Relatively low-speed link
between them.  (Yes, this is an annoyance, but unfortunately an
explanation as to the budgeting and the "why" is beyond the scope of this
post.  Also annoyingly, I'm currently announcing half my blocks out of
NOC1 and half out of NOC2.  Ditto the explanation things again.)

So anyhow, if NOC-NOC connecting link goes down, traffic USED to go out
through the Internet to get to the other NOC.  Since the provider change,
it doesn't.  I'm not interested in roubleshooting this extensively on the
lis... I just wanted to check one thing for now:  I was reading today, and
ran across something I'd read before but forgotten.  It said that BGP
speakers ignore routes they hear if that route originates in their own AS,
which is a step taken to avoid routing loops.  What I'm wondering here is
if that is applicable here.  If NOC1 is announcing routes and NOC2 hears
them through the Internet, will it ignore them?  I'm pretty sure this is a
damned basic question, which is the reason I said "quick reality check" in
the 2nd paragraph.  But I've been stumped enough by this change in
behavior that I'm doubting my sanity here... Which is probably why it took
me four paragraphs to express this simple question...

Thanks,

Rick