[c-nsp] DSL PPPoE Static IP via RADIUS

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Wed Mar 8 12:12:52 EST 2006

Kristofer Sigurdsson <mailto:kristosig at gmail.com> wrote on Wednesday,
March 08, 2006 6:06 PM:

> I've got an interesting problem that's kind of related to this.
>
> I have a RADIUS server assigning VRF's on virtual-access interfaces
> (in a test lab).  This works.
>
> However, if the RADIUS also assigns ip addresses (via
> Framed-IP-Address), it comes up without an IP address.  Now, I know if
> I assign an IP address to an interface, an then a VRF, the ip address
> is removed from the interface.  Can this be what is happening here?
> I.e. the VRF configuration is before the Framed-IP-Address part of the
> RADIUS reply and therefor gets removed?

Hmm, the Framed-IP-Address sets the remote/peer IP-address, not the
virtual-access interface address. The only effect the vrf-per-Radius has
on the remote address is that this address is put into the appropriate
VRF..
You are right that applying a "ip vrf forwarding" command to an
interface removes any previously configured IP address. This is why you
commonly apply

  Cisco-avpair = "lcp:interface-config#1=ip vrf forwarding foo",
  Cisco-avpair = "lcp:interface-config#2=ip unnumbered LoopbackX"

within your Radius profile. The tags (#1, #2) make sure that the
attributes are applied in this very order, no matter in which order they
arrive within the profile.

	oli