[c-nsp] recommended platform between Catalyst 3750 and 6500?

Andrew andrew.cnsp at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 06:28:53 EST 2006

Hello cisco-nsp'ers-
So I'm currently running a Catalyst 3750 EMI doing (very) partial BGP
to two ISPs.  By "partial," I really mean that I've got a primary
provider who I'm receiving a default route from and a secondary
provider whom I'm filtering prefixes from via route-maps.  I'm using
the second provider for destinations where it has lower latency, while
using the primary provider for everything else.  I'm currently
accepting around 5000 prefixes (according to sh ip bgp sum), which is
getting awfully close to the 8000 prefix limit (based on sh sdm pref).
 That being said, I'm looking to upgrade to something between a 3750
and a 6500 (I don't need *that* many ports).  Here are some of my
desired features:

- Ability to take 2-3 full feeds from transit providers (so I'm
guessing this means 512MB ram instead of the 3750's 128MB)
- I'd like to be able to export NetFlows from my router (which the
3750 does not support), so I can figure out where my traffic is going
to.
- More than 8 SVIs or the ability to do .1q subinterfaces
- Support for GBICs or SFPs
- Modularity is optional.  I need 24 copper FE or GE ports, in
addition to GBIC/SFP ports.

I plan to be pushing around 300-500Mbps most of the time, with the
occasional DDoS pushing us into the 2Gbps range.

All recommendations are welcome.  Thanks.