[c-nsp] 7500 slot configuration

rafi-cnsp2 at meron.openu.ac.il rafi-cnsp2 at meron.openu.ac.il
Wed Mar 15 06:36:36 EST 2006

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006, Rodney Dunn wrote:

> Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 10:59:10 -0500
> From: Rodney Dunn <rodunn at cisco.com>
> To: David Coulson <david at davidcoulson.net>
> Cc: cisco-nsp <cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net>
> Subject: Re: [c-nsp] 7500 slot configuration
>
> I've never seen it matter in the real world.

1) IIRC what can be a problem in the real world is the cbus utilization
the "real world" cybus capacity is around 600 Mb/sec
(that is on a 7513 router with all VIP4 it may be less with VIP2)
so splitting the cards in order to load share between the 2 buss
is probably a good idea

2) Also AFAIK the GEIP is based on the VIP2/50 - so you'll probably hit a
performance wall if your input+output traffic significantly exceeds 300Mb/sec
for one of the GEIP or for that matter any single slot since you're
using VIP2/50s for the other slots - in particular 2*T3+FE in one VIP is
pushing it

--
HTH,
  	Rafi