[c-nsp] Possible memory corruption w/ 12.2(18)S11

Greg Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Tue Mar 21 15:36:52 EST 2006

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006, David Coulson wrote:

> Rodney Dunn wrote:
> > You need 12.3 or 12.4 mainline and you don't
> > get any HA other than RPR+ there. We don't support
> > those features with SSO anyway so it doesn't do you
> > any good.
>
> What about the current 12.2? Plenty of people have mentioned issues with
> 12.3 recently...

Yeah.. I just spoke to a customer this morning who has stopped calling his
12.3 load IOS and is now referring to it as "CrashOS" instead. ;)

Seriously, does anyone have a clue as to what the particular issue is with
this? Are there known memory corruption problems w/ caching on the
12.2(18)S series?

>From memory, the most important things we need are:

OSPF
BGP
IRB
HSRP
802.1q
CEF and dCEF
GEIP Support
VIP Support
PA-T3 Support
PC-MC-T3 Support

The rest we can work around. If we can get that w/ mainline 12.2.29 or
better, then we can consider that as an option. No offense, I'm just
really not that confident in 12.3 yet based on all the negative feedback I
hear.

                             KP-216-121-ST