[c-nsp] IGX UXM bandwidth weirdness

Mark Rogaski wendigo at pobox.com
Tue Mar 21 23:04:33 EST 2006

An entity claiming to be R. Raja (r.raja05 at gmail.com) wrote:
:
: We are trying to switch the E1 trunk to a UXM card.  When we do this, the
: bandwidth usage by a 24 channel UVM connection remains the same value ie 700
: packets/sec. This is unexpected since we expect each UVM connections usage
: to drop by about 50% (to about 350cps) since a ATM cell is 53 bytes and FP
: cell is 20 bytes.
:
: Is this value configurable somewhere?
:

StrataCom fastpackets are actually 24 bytes, still small enough that you
can pack the payloads down to get 50% reduction in the cell rate.  The
problem is that the trunk card is sending ATM cells as quickly as possible
and isn't waiting to fill up the payload.  You can adjust this by changing
the combining delay with the cnfcmb command.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps988/products_tech_note09186a00801da57f.shtml

Keep in mind that this is a space-for-time efficiency trade.

Mark

--
[] Mark Rogaski              |          Politics is the entertainment