[c-nsp] OSPF areas?

Tim Durack tdurack at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 11:16:41 EST 2006

In our Campus/Enterprise environment we run multiple areas (original
thinking was to control updates for slower less reliable WAN links.)

Not convinced multiple areas do anything for us aside from complicate things.
Plus I have run into the situation where an intra-area route is
preferred by OSPF even though an inter-area route might actually be
better.

If I were doing it again I would seriously consider running OSPF for
infrastructure, and iBGP for the "Customer Edge." I like the idea of
separating out the edge from the core routing wise. This would provide
a lot of control over policy. But perhaps that would be
overengineering too.

Tim:>